my life. don't read if you're bored easily.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Why Sophia and Frida Rock.



Sophia Loren is one of the most beautiful women in the world. She has the perfect skin tone in that she can pull off any hair color. She is voluptuous and sexy and is Italian...how cool is that? BUT the coolest thing ever are these photos of her with hairy underarm pits. I don't mean hairy as in, like a wolf, but you get the point.

The pics, to me, are so liberating. (I actually have clearer images of these photos but you'll have to wait until I get back to NM to scan them.) Anyway, yes, these photos are liberating because they say that beauty is not confined to the so-called definition of what makes a woman beautiful. Hair grows naturally and, for too long, women have been made to feel completely embarrassed for having underarm hair.

Women need to wake up and understand that it's ok. It's natural. For the longest time, I could not, for the life of me, imagine having hair under my arms, much less letting anyone see them. It finally got to the point, after 20 years of shaving, that I shaved so much I was getting in-grown hairs that would form lumps, which scared me, being so close to my breasts. I began to rethink the bare underarm thing. Was it worth it? I began letting my hair grow and realized that I liked it. I wasn't worried about lumps and bumps, and most of all, it was a big 'fuck you' to conformity. I don't care if people see my underarm hair, and if it offends them or grosses them out, GOOD.
The same goes for Frida. She let her eyebrows and her moustache grow. Again, very liberating because Frida was still beautiful and more importantly, unique. She could have shaved and plucked, but didn't. I'll be honest though. There is obviously a difference when it's natural or when you have like a thyroid problem. I think in the case of Frida, it was natural. I think it's harder for women to let their facial hair grow--I mean let's face it, we live in a society where that's considered ugly, not exotic. But Frida didn't care and I think that's what made her so beautiful.
We need more women like Sophia and Frida to stop the brainwashing of women.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
City: Lulu
i'm supposed to be writing my thesis.